BRIEF HISTORY OF TOWNSVILLE CLUB
Townsville Kennel Association Inc (TKA) is one of the oldest clubs in Queensland. The inaugural meeting of TKA was called in 1929 by Mr Fred Smith and held in a pharmacy in Flinders Street. Mr Smith became the foundation president, a position he held for many years. In 1948 he was honoured as TKA’s first Life member. Also present at that inaugural meeting was a young teenager named Bill Duckworth. Bill was destined to become an international all breeds judge, and a name synonymous with dog shows throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Even though TKA was founded in 1929 it’s recognised affiliation by the CCC was not until 1930. Some years ago a Challenge Certificate dated 1929 was presented as proof of affiliation in that year with the then governing body, however CCC is adamant that 1930 is the recognised year of affiliation.
Upon affiliation the TKA was permitted to conduct “Parades” on allocated dates, although “Social Parades” could be held to encourage people to show their dogs and so boost entries. Allocation of a Championship Show (a One Point or Two Point show – this referred to Challenge Points) – was based on overall entries at the parade. Such was the dedication of the committee, the club flourished and the first point show was allocated for June 1930. June became the annual principal show and was in later years, named the “Fred Smith Memorial Show”. At that time, two Canine Control Bodies were in existence in Queensland, the other being the Queensland Kennel Club (QKC), and both Bodies were situated in Brisbane. Registration was required with the appropriate control body to exhibit at shows held under their jurisdiction. In future years these two control bodies would amalgamate to become the Canine Control Council of Queensland.
During the history of any club there are times of great stress and difficulty and there was such time for the TKA when at an annual general meeting in the early days, the club could not pay its debts as it had a short fall of some $250.00 which was a lot of money in those days. None of the office bearers were standing for re-election, and rumour was strong that the club would close down and go into liquidation. That year the then Secretary Clarence Condon, Treasurer Alan Young, and President Max Cooke took on the positions for another term. To raise the much needed funds to keep the club going, a members parade was organized at Sherwood Kennels.
Members donated pikelets, scones, tea, etc and paid a 50c entrance fee to enjoy what they had donated! To enter a dog it cost 20c and the classes available were Baby, Minor, Junior, Graduate and Limited, all breeds went in together just like a sweepstakes. This fun day helped the club along financially. The resilience, hard work and dedication to our hobby of the then committee and members allowed the club to grow and become what we have today. Over the past decades TKA have held their show’s in many locations, the Townsville Show Grounds was home for many years, until we moved out to our very own spacious ground’s at Wordsworth Park, Woodstock.
These extracts of our club history are possible due to our Life Members putting together a booklet for the clubs 70th anniversary show. Credit must go to all our life members for their part in our history, one in particular Mrs Carmyn Kingston who during her time as secretary was in possession of the original Minutes Book and other treasures – she compiled a “History of the Townsville Kennel Association”. Mrs Kingston writings were confirmed and accepted by the Late President of the Canine Control Council of Queensland, Mr Henry Phillips.